31 Queen Street Charlottetown
PE C1A 4A4
Join us for a lunchtime information session with the Department of National Defence to learn about their Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) program!
IDEaS is meant to revolutionize the way the Department of National Defence (DND) generates solutions to complex challenges. Through IDEaS, DND will invest $1.6 billion into the external innovation community over the next 20 years, accessing innovation from the most creative minds external to DND, whether they are individual inventors, researchers working in academic institutions or small or major companies.
The program introduces new means of engaging innovators and will stimulate their work through a range of activities including competitions, contests, networks and mechanisms to engage with DND and show and test proposed solutions.
Last week we launched our third call for proposals for competitive projects announcing five new defence and security challenges for which innovators can propose solutions.
- Breaking the ice – ground solutions for removing frozen contaminants from aircraft
- Collision Course – tracking and de-orbiting space debris
- Now you see me, now you don’t – reducing visual and infrared detection of soldiers and their vehicles
- Power Up! Portable power for soldiers on the move
- Shields up! Defend and protect satellites from natural and artificial threats
Soon, we hope to launch the first Contest. Contests are a competitive means of finding innovative solutions and awarding prizes to the best solutions. Each contest focuses on one of the defence and security challenges identified by the program. Each contest is held independently; the number of winners, as well as the type and/or value of the prizes, will vary. IDEaS will hold approximately four contests per year.