OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT OFFICER - Eastern PEI
Work Location - Rural Action Centre, Montague
The Business Development Officer is the main access point for the delivery of Innovation PEI (IPEI) business programs and services in Eastern Prince Edward Island and is a part of a team responsible for the development of new business opportunities in the Province. The Business Development Officer works directly with entrepreneurs in new and existing PEI based businesses to identify opportunities and propose solutions to strengthen both start-up and expansion operations. This individual will be located at the Rural Action Centre site in Montague and will hold office hours in Souris and other eastern PEI locations as required.
Duties will include:
- Providing business counselling and coaching to entrepreneurs and businesses in the development of the business from the idea stage through to implementation;
- Providing guidance in the process of making business management decisions, offering advice with business plan development, identification of financing options, application processes for financial assistance and services with other organizations, and referrals to other specialists as may be appropriate;
- Assessing applications for financial assistance which will include a comprehensive analysis of the business plan and recommendation on the appropriate level of support;
- Preparing contracts and letters of offer and providing client monitoring and evaluation;
- Advising existing businesses and potential entrepreneurs of opportunities and programs including the development, promotion and delivery of entrepreneurial information, education and training;
- Representing IPEI at trade shows and other business functions/organizations;
- Other related duties.
- Applicants must have a university degree in business administration, commerce, or a related field.
- Experience in banking, accounting, business development or business consulting in areas of general business management, data collection and report preparation.
- Demonstrated equivalences will be considered.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, and sound logistics and facilitation capabilities.
- Superior organizational and time management skills are also required.
- Strong computer skills including advanced spreadsheet, database, presentation and word processing software.
- Knowledge of standard lending practices/procedures, research techniques, accounting practices and basic auditing techniques, as well as techniques to effectively evaluate business plans/proposals.
- Knowledge of techniques for interviewing and counselling clients on all aspects of business operations.
- A general knowledge the provincial, national and global economy and how they relate to PEI businesses.
- Completion of a small business counselling course would be considered an asset. (The completion of such a course will be required within the first two years of employment.)
- Knowledge of business support programs and policies of IPEI and other departments/agencies would be considered an asset.
Salary: $55,473 - $69,340 (IPEI Level 17)
Closing Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:00 pm AST
If interested please submit a resume to:
Lynda Hontscharowicz, HR Officer
Economic Development & Tourism
PO Box 2000, 16 Fitzroy St
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8